fredag 19 oktober 2012

American vs. British English



British and American English don’t only differ in pronunciation but also in meaning. 

What’s the difference between the meaning of the sentences below?

To find out, go to this website: http://us2uk.tripod.com/funny.htm 

You will be divided into small groups and each group will get a pair of sentences. Find out their meaning and the difference between them. Be prepared to explain it to the rest of the class.

You are welcome to use the stories on the website as a support to your explanation. 

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.
My pants are dirty. (US) 
My pants are dirty (UK) 

2.
Being pissed (UK)
Being pissed (US)

3.
Can I use your rubber (UK)
Can I use your rubber (US)

4.a
Are you allowed to smoke a fag in there? (UK)
Are you allowed to smoke a fag in there? (US)

5.
I’m stuffed! (UK)
I’m stuffed! (US)

6.
Suck it up (UK)
Suck it up (US)

7.
No thongs allowed! (UK)
no thongs allowed! (US) 

8.
Where is the restroom? (UK)
Where is the restroom? (US)

9.
I knocked her up (UK)
I knocked her up (US)

10.
I need to get out for a puff or two (UK)
I need to get out for a puff or two (US)

Here's your homework! Download it here!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar